Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Personal Narratives

Perhaps the highlight of my day was when I got my personal narrative back. I didn't really know what to expect when Andrea handed them back. To my pleasant surprise, I opened it up and discovered that I only missed two points. A 148/150! I was very happy. She prefaced handing them back and said they were the best batch she had ever had. She sounded genuine. That is a very happy thought.

So I got to wondering, why were they so good? Our generation has so many problems, but it seems like we also have such strength. It seems to me that here at BYU what it boils down to is our ability to interpret life as something less than ideal. I was brutally honest in my paper. I told of my search for religious peace among a turmoil of emotions. Everyone that I know here at BYU has such diverse backgrounds, so many different lives, and countless stories to tell. The mundane becomes the profound as we strive to understand the incomprehensible.

I do not claim to understand much of anything, but I know that in my own life certain things have changed me forever. From my personal sorrows to the exquisite joys, I am trying to find myself. I will keep searching.

The rest of my day was good. Spanish was amazing. I really am considering doing a Spanish major.

2 comments:

danadu101 said...

I really liked this post.. we should get together and talk 'deep' some more sometime soon.. Congrats on your paper, by the way

just for future reference.. do you mind me reading your blog, or would you prefer it to be more personal, aka just for you?

Seagulljaap said...

No. I love you reading my blog. Sorry I didn't comment earlier. I love the fact that someone is reading it.