Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Sister and I

I have always loved my sister. I always will. I love her so much. But sometimes we disagree on certain issues. Tonight was one of those nights where I disagreed. We talked about Prop 8, a divisive issue to be sure. I support Prop 8, but very hesitantly. I am not going against the Church on this issue because I have been very conflicted about it. I have been asking God about it a lot. For some reason the Church has done this. Because I have a firm testimony of the Gospel and the fact that God is in the LDS Church, I have elected to trust God at this point.

For me, however, I do not like the tactics certain members of the Church are using to try to get this measure passed. I think that it would be enough to support traditional marriage, but attacking others is not exactly the way Christ acted. Jesus walked away from none, he gave his love to everyone. I would like to see more love. More compassion. Many will disagree with me. I know many will. I do not seek to offend, only to remind. Christ laid down His life for us. In this great atoning sacrifice of love, he reminds us the power love can have. Love changes people. Love changes the world. Let's just love everyone. Let's just love. And not weep.

2 comments:

danadu101 said...

I agree with you, Jacob. This is where the fine line of "love the people, not the sin" comes into play. I had a tough time with this one, because to me, it's very sad to know that i know people that will never be able to have the covenant of marriage in their lives. I couldn't even imagine beginning to date someone without knowing that i wouldn't have that bond, that "i want to be with you forever" commitment. It about kills me to deny someone that.
That being said, i fully support Proposition 8, because i don't want to see what the world would become like if it weren't passed.

Hildegarde said...

I totally feel your pain. I just spent the weekend in California and I had my eyes opened to the issue. It is complex for sure but I agree with danadu101. I am blogging about this shortly.