Monday, February 2, 2009

Edward's Obsession

Have you ever been reading something that you want to quote all the time? This was my reaction to my Humanities 261 readings by Jonathan Edwards, of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God fame. I am a huge fan. I guess this relates back to my Protestant/Evangelical Envy. And my Puritan obsession. He also was involved in the First Great Awakening. Anyone who knows me well enough will tell you my obsession with religious literature. I have an inordinate love for American religious revivals too. Especially if they take place in New England. But anyway, I digress. I found something I want to use in a sacrament meeting talk.

"I have loved the doctrines of the gospel: they have been to my soul like green pastures. The gospel has seemed to me to be the richest treasure; the treasure that I have most desired, and longed that it might dwell richly in me. The way of salvation by Christ, has appeared in a general way, glorious and excellent, and most pleasant and beautiful."

I like this image of the doctrine as a green pasture. It's a unique image. I think we should all study Edwards a bit more.

And for Friday we are reading Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God! Too excited.

2 comments:

Bex =] said...

I've never really been introduced to religious literature. Unless I'm at someone's house an randomly pick something up...
I'm big into getting books based on philosophy and theology, though.

One of my favorite little things is 'As A Man Thinketh' by James Allen. At least I think that that's by him. I gave my only copy to my Elder, so I don't remember. =P
I have this book called Ethics by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I haven't read that much of it, yet, but it's wicked good. It offers a different perspective on Christianity, as a whole although I think a lot of catholic stuff is in there, that also incorporates most basic beliefs, and uses many many examples from the bible. =]
I don't know. You might like it. =]

Catherine Agnes said...

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures...

:-)