Monday, October 1, 2012

Tender Mercies



Ever since Elder Bednar's April 2005 talk the phrase "tender mercies" has entered into the Mormon vocabulary. Personally, I hate this phrase because it has become so cliché in Mormon culture. This being said, however, I like to think that there are happenings in our lives that are very much inspired by God.

Today didn't start off very well. I woke up late because I had been up late the night before doing homework and cleaning. I woke up, took a shower, had a quick breakfast, and finally left for the day, thinking that I would hop on my bike and be able to make it on time for my first class of the day. I went outside and discovered that my bike had been stolen. I walked to campus, arriving in my 8 a.m. class late. After that, I felt very groggy the entire day. I mean it wasn't that bad. It could have been better. Anyhow, I was walking across campus along the west side of the bookstore when I heard someone call my name. I ran into my friend that I haven't seen since she returned from her mission. I was surprised to see her since I hadn't know that she was attending BYU. 

We were talking for a bit. I could sense there was something troubling her. We continued to talk for a time, until she began to talk about how things had been so difficult for her lately. I listened and my heart ached for her. We tried to work through a few things. I gave her what little advice I could. She seemed happier when I finally left. She told me at one point that it made her day to see me.

I don't want to toot my own horn. That's not what the purpose of this post is. In the end, my bike is replaceable. I can catch up on sleep. Bad days pass. My bad day shouldn't prevent me from making someone else's day better. I am not the center of the universe. Just because I am having a bad day doesn't mean I can't be charitable or caring. There are opportunities all around us to make other people feel better, even when we haven't had the best day. And I felt touched to know that for a small moment, I could help someone feel a little less pain. Other people's feelings are so important. Take time to help someone. You'll be glad you did. 




1 comment:

The Millers said...

You are the greatest person to run into on campus! Please tell me this was sister gilsoN???