Friday, August 12, 2011

Failed Saints

I went to the temple a little while back. The temple is a magical place. I feel that within those walls we covenant to a higher level of discipleship.

Is this higher level of discipleship easy? No. Like many things in life, these covenants are not particularly easy or convienant. I remember one time on my mission, I was teaching a young man in the small Isaan town of Yasothorn. I was on exchanges with a young, jittery but good Elder. He was talking to this investigator, a nice but highly unreliable fellow, about how he had been unable to meet with them lately. His tongue tied, he told us about how his work was extremely demanding.

I turned to him and asked "Do you think there will be a time where keeping the commandments will be convenient?"

He stumbled on his answer.

"Well after this week it should be better. I should be able to keep the commandments after that."

But that's not the way the world works is it? Keeping the commandments isn't something easy or convenient. It won't be next week or even next year. We have a conscious decision to make. Mormonism isn't about punishment. It's about the development of a Saint. Granted, we all are failing sainthood. I am not a perfect Saint. We all have sin. We all have weaknesses. But the joy of Mormonism is that weaknesses aren't sins- weaknesses are morally neutral. It is what we decide to do with these weaknesses that will lead us to Sainthood.

Rambling. Again.


No comments: